Sunday, June 15, 2008

Random Sunday Thoughts

Hobbies
I was filling out a form yesterday to go to a new doctor when I came upon a scary, scary line: Hobbies. Hobbies? Do y'all have hobbies? What are my hobbies? Could I put napping? Playing computer soliataire? Scrutinizing people? Imbibing? Watching The Bachelorette? I mean, I work 57 hours a week. Who has time for hobbies? I decided that I go to Junior League sometimes, so I put volunteering as my hobby. Maybe that will impress the people at Louisville Pulmonary Care. They won't know that my placement for the last two years was imbibing and scrutinizing people, will they?

Straw Hats
Lisa and I tried to go to Avalon last night, but the wait was too long. When I walked through the patio, this lady had a big straw hat on. Now, I'm not sure the Stephen Foster Stakes is a festive enough occasion to wear a big hat, but I don't really blame her. If I could wear a big hat everyday, well, I'd look ridiculous. But a straw hat draws a man like Scarlett at the Barbecue. You can keep your belly shirts, your thongs, and your Daisy Dukes, just give me a hat with a huge turning radius and let me go!!
This year I met a gentleman at Oaks who extolled my virtues for hours all over Churchill Downs. He was particularly enamored by the feathers on my hat. I saw him two weeks later, and he did not remember me, not one bit. It was all hat.
One year after Oaks we went straight to Fourth Street and the Seelbach. This was back when Fourth Street had a dress code and you had to wear clothes over your underwear. Oh, the good old days. I will not speak for my friends, but there is no way I looked cute for the event. I was sweaty. I had streaky makeup. The waiter at Makers Mark spilled a tray of drinks on my dress. I had blisters from my undergarments and shoes. (Oh! This is the night I accidentally bought the bandaids for varied skin tones. I bought "Ebony!" I almost gave them to Brandon, but I decided it was too funny and kept them.) Anyway, when we got the the Seelbach, two very hot guys in tuxedos invited Lisa and me to go the the Barnstable Brown with them. It had to be the hat. Seriously. Later that night we got our pictures made with John O'Hurley. He declined our requests to dance and said something really funny. If anybody remembers what he said, please tell me.
Long live the Straw Hat!!

1 comment:

jenks said...

I misspelled solitaire :( Sorry...